Week One is in the books for the Alliance of American Football (AAF) & the results were encouraging both on and off the field for the unaffiliated minor league new startup football league to the NFL.
The AAF posted solid TV ratings—drawing the same audience as an NBA battle between two of the league’s top stars, Russell Westbrook vs James Harden-proving once again that football of any kind reigns supreme among sports fans.
From a betting perspective, the books here in Vegas were pleasantly surprised by the handle from both the sharps & public bettors in the opening weekend.
All four home teams saw significant support & we saw all the lines move in that direction & that did not prevent those who backed them from cashing. All four home teams went 4-0 ATS & SU and covered all numbers at any point of the betting lines. In terms of the totals, many saw the rule of no extra points and going for a two-point conversion after every touchdown as a reason to back the ‘Over’. Several of the games saw moves of nearly 6 points to the over, however outside of the Arizona/Salt Lake match-up, the four games went 3-1 to the ‘Under’.
The MGM Resorts here in Vegas has posted updated AAF futures odds with the Arizona Hotshots & Orlando Apollos as co-favorites according to the boys in the desert:
- Arizona Hotshots: No change at the top following the Hotshots’ 38-22 win over Salt Lake City. They look like the team to beat.
- Orlando Apollos: Steve Spurrier’s boys crushed the Atlanta Legends 40-6 & now find themselves co-favorites with Arizona
- Birmingham Iron: RB Trent Richardson found the endzone twice & the Iron posted the first-ever shutout of the AAF beating Memphis 26-0.
- San Antonio Commanders: Former Dallas Cowboys & current SA GM Daryl ‘Moose’ Johnston’s boys showed strong defense beating San Diego 15-6.
- Salt Lake Stallions: Dennis Erickson has a strong backfield in Matt Asiata & Brandon Oliver & despite the loss are only 8/1 in the futures & look to be the best of the one-loss teams.
- San Diego Fleet: Mike Martz sure doesn’t look he has the Rams offense he had in the NFL & the Fleet now stand at 12/1.
- Atlanta Legends: Both QBs Aaron Murray & Matt Simms combined for three INTs & the defense gave up a league worst 40 points to Orlando & now sit at 40/1.
- Memphis Express: Mike Singletary found out quick that QB Christian Hackenberg is a bust in any league & now stand at 40/1 & look to be the worst team in the league.
Week 2 Betting Lines:
Saturday Feb 16, 2019
Salt Lake Stallions (+7.5) @ Birmingham Iron (45)
Arizona Hotshots (-11.5) @ Memphis Express (48.5)
Sunday Feb 17, 2019
Orlando Apollos (-6) @ San Antonio Commanders (44.5)
Atlanta Legends (+9.5) @ San Diego Fleet (44)
The book have made huge adjustments after just one week as we now see the highest total on the board at 48.5 involving the best team (Arizona) & the only team to go over the posted total in week one. In week one the ‘lowest’ posted total of the four games on the board was 57.5 showing a drastic correction by the odds-makers in week two betting lines. In terms of the sides, we see our first double digit favorite in the AAF as the best Vegas power ranked team team–Arizona is -11.5 road favorites versus the worst power ranked team in the Memphis Express.